August 14, 2020
Dear South Shore Family and Friends,
Greetings in the name of Jesus Christ, our savior and Lord!
As the summer rapidly slips away, I am reaching out with gratitude for all those who have joined with us in worship and ministry in some form ever since we had to take worship online in the early days of the pandemic. We have been through a lot together during this time. What’s more important is that God has been with us and promises to continue to be with us now and in the days ahead. It looks like we will be meeting exclusively online for the foreseeable future. From what I hear, people are still experiencing the presence of God in powerful ways even though we must use technology alone to “gather.” If you have yet to join us because you are having trouble connecting on Sundays for worship; Tuesdays and Thursdays at noon for devotional prayer and praise as we read through scripture; on Fridays at 6:00am for prayer on our prayer line; or on Saturdays at noon for Children’s Time open to the young and young at heart, by all means let me know so we can get you hooked up! None of us need face these challenging days alone, relying in our own strength or perhaps the camaraderie of family and friends outside of a loving church community. We are here to walk with you as collectively we seek God’s help as we journey on together.
If you have only participated in one or the other of our worshipful experiences, why not try another? The more you do, as a means of spiritual discipline, the more you will be able to practice the presence of God throughout the week.
Again the information to connect:
Please join us for worship at 11:00 on Sundays online (Facebook Live @SSUMCChicago) or by Zoom Join Zoom Meeting Link
Meeting ID: 911 8548 6852
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,91185486852# US (Chicago)
Tuesday/ Thursday/ Saturday experiences at Noon:
(Facebook Live @SSUMCChicago) or by Zoom Join Zoom Meeting Link https://umcom.zoom.us/j/94201264948
Meeting ID: 942 0126 4948
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,94201264948# US (Chicago)
Or by phone on any of the days (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) AND Friday at 6:30 (1-515-603-3102; participant number 267475# Note: call before 11:00 to ease burden on phone lines. If you do get a busy signal, keep trying! It may take several attempts.
Remember that if you call in, please put your phone on mute or silence TVs, radios, other phones etc. and limit conversations. On Fridays you are welcome to join in the prayer but offering a prayer aloud is not required.
Now for some updates:
- Since being in lock-down mode, we have experienced several deaths of members: Geraldine Brown, Mabel Willette, Leslie Sykes, and most recently– Sharon McCullough and Jewel Brown. Please keep their families who find themselves making their way through the valley of the shadow of death in your prayers, that they might find comfort from the One who promises to be an ever- present help in times of need, never leaving or forsaking us. Hebrews 13:5
- Thank you! Thank you!
- Dear South Shore Family,
I felt extremely blessed to have had my church family remember my birthday. I’m thanking God every day that he’s allowed me to see my 87th year. I solicit your continued prayers. Yours in Christ, June Smith
- To Staff Parish Relations Committee and my South Shore Family,
Thank you so much for the beautiful bouquet featuring colorful roses and lilies on the occasion of my birthday! It was such a pleasant surprise and a wonderful way to sense your well wishes even while we are physically apart. For all the ways any of you have encouraged me in my ministry through prayers, cards or other gracious expressions of support, I am truly grateful. Thank you again. With gratitude, Rev. Adonna Reid
- Thank you to those who have prayed for and financially supported our outreach to hospitals during this Covid-19 crisis. We have supplied well over 1,000 hot meals to the staff at Trinity, Loretto, South Shore, Jackson Park, and Roseland, and most recently- LaRabida hospitals!!! These meals and the staff were covered in prayer upon each delivery. We are continuing to gratefully accept donations towards this project as we hope to encourage those on the front lines in communities hardest hit by the Covid-19 pandemic. (Please note this ministry in the memo section of any future checks or on the Pay Pal link through our website.)
- We are also thankful for all contributions that are made to the glory of God and that facilitate our ministry that continues even while we are apart. Thank you for your continued faithfulness.
- Our hospital outreach program is one way we have been in ministry during the pandemic. In addition, Joel Jenkins, Jane Braboy and I have participated in the Prayer Vigil and Resource walks sponsored by the Third District of the Chicago Police Department in our area; and I worked with South Shore residents and business leaders to help beautify the 75th street corridor around Paxton and Merril. These need not be the only ways the church engages in ministry for and with the community…. Are there ideas that God has placed on your heart that we might consider pursuing together in the coming days or weeks? I recently learned of the efforts of Clara Houston who, since being home during the lock-down, has knitted 24 sweaters of varying sizes for donation to a shelter or children’s center, and she says she hasn’t finished yet! Way to go, Clara!!!!! How about you? How may God be inviting you to be in ministry, sharing God’s love with others? Maybe you’ve already been up to something too. Let me know.
- If there are 2020 graduates who you know who were not lifted up in June, please share their names with me so that I can pray over their next steps as the new school year unfolds in September.
Thank you for all you do to help the church actually be the church during this time, keeping in touch with one another, family, friends and neighbors. We will get through this together with God and each other. Let’s remain prayerful and stay the course. Until we are in touch again, I remain hopeful and
Yours in Christ,
Rev. Adonna Reid